BC Primary Teachers Association
2020 BCPTA Conference
Primary Leadership Conference
Registration for our conference is now closed.
Keynote by Kimberly A. Schonert-Reichl
Promoting the well-being and social and emotional competence of children and educators through social and emotional learning
The recent science and research on Social Emotional Learning and the growing basis of research shows that SEL skills are considered 21st century skills that matter for learning and success particularly in this Covid 19 era. Dr. Schonert-Reichl will present the most recent science and research on Social Emotional Learning in her virtual talk – focusing on the importance of promoting SEL and well-being in adults and children in the current climate. She will also have some resources to share for inquiry and virtual learning. We are lucky to have one of the experts in SEL here in British Columbia!
A Question / Answer Component is included at the end.
Dr. Kimberly A. Schonert-Reichl is an Applied Developmental Psychologist and a Professor in the Human Development, Learning, and Culture area in the Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology, and Special Education in the Faculty of Education at the University of British Columbia (UBC). Before beginning her graduate work, she was a middle school and high school teacher. Kim’s research focuses on understanding the processes that foster positive human qualities such as empathy, compassion, altruism, and resiliency in children / youth. Kim has been involved with many scholarly committees and consultancies. She has served as an advisor to the British Columbia (BC) Ministry Education on the development and implementation of the redesign of the Curriculum and Assessment Framework with focus on the promotion of students’ personal and social competencies.
Admission to CONFERENCE OPENING and WORKSHOPS IN SESSION S1 / S2
- Open Attendance for Opening Entertainment and Keynote Address
- Breakout Session Attendance by online pre-registration
- Preregister Early for Best Choices
- Total attendance in workshops is determined by the number of registrants presenters have agreed to accept
- Some Hands-On and interactive workshops have Limited Attendance and Limited Materials
- You can use 'My Workshops' to preselect your workshops while browsing the Schedule or Workshops pages. You will make the final selection during the registration process.
Procedures for Pre-Registration and Receipt
- While browsing the Schedule and Workshops pages on the website add your workshops into 'My Workshops' by clicking the 'Add to My Workshops' buttons. The colour of the button indicates how much space is left (green = still lots of space, yellow = only a couple of spots left and red = workshop is full).
- Click the 'Register NOW' link in the menu on the top.
- Start the process by entering your email address.
- Follow the steps all the way to the end.
- On the bottom of the last step enter your credit card information (VISA or MasterCard).
- You will receive a confirmation email when you have successfully completed the registration.
- A second email contains the link to download the receipt.